Windows 10 reboot loop
Windows 10 reboot loop. Always boots into startup repair, but “Startup repair cannot repair your PC”.
We documented this thirteen times in 2018 . . . in a community with only a few thousand residents. Almost every time there is a different solution, but the root cause generally seems to be “Windows ATE ITSELF”. I would love to dig long enough to find the actual cause in each case, but I don’t charge my clients for all that time. Here are some possible solutions, in order of EASE/TIME.
– Try startup repair at least twice (startup repair should run automatically if you halt startup three times).
– Try system restore to a date before the last major windows update.
– Boot from recovery media and run startup repair from there.
– Remove drive, mount in good PC, run scandisk w bad block check.
– Run manufacturer disk utility to check for bad sectors.
– Run offline virus scan.
– Check logs for “random” (drivers, etc.) causes.
– Give up because there was nothing wrong with the disk and nothing in the logs. Re-install from last system image and restore backups.
Fortunately, we haven’t seen this in current versions of Windows 10.